Notification and Fee Guidelines
- All regulated asbestos containing material (RACM) shall be removed from nonexempt structures prior to any demolition activity. Category II asbestos containing materials will become RACM during normal demolition operations. Category I asbestos containing materials may become RACM when the forces of demolition act upon them or when the materials are destined for recycling operations.
- What forms do I use for notifications?
Notifications must be submitted through one of four methods:
- The Pinellas County Citizen Access Portal is the preferred method as you will be able to self-manage your projects. By using this application, you will be able to upload documents, make revisions and pay the applicable fee in one place.
- Using the electronic forms for abatement or demolition. You will be able to upload documents during the initial submittal but will not be able to make revisions or pay the fee using this method:
- The older PDF forms are acceptable, and they may be hand delivered, mailed or emailed. You must include any additional documents and fees concurrently. For a current copy of the paper application, please call (727) 464-4422 or email AirQualityAsbestos@pinellascounty.org.
- The State of Florida Department of Environmental Protection electronic notification system is acceptable. You will be able to upload documents and make revisions using this system. You will not be able to pay the associated fee and additional information may be requested.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: A permit or advisory statement from the local building department DOES NOT MEET the NESHAP notification requirement. All required Asbestos NESHAP notifications must be submitted directly to Pinellas County Air Quality Division (PCAQD).
- Asbestos surveys for demolition may be transmitted as electronic copies through the State system, uploaded via the Pinellas County Citizen Access Portal, or may be submitted either by hand delivery, mail, or email.
- Any asbestos surveys or notification fees which are required must be submitted at the same time the notification information is submitted.
- All notification fees can be paid via the Pinellas County Citizen Access Portal, or fee checks must be submitted either by hand delivery, mail delivery, or if credit card via telephone (remember all email communication with the department is public information). The ten (10) working day notification period will not officially begin until all required notification information, fees, and asbestos survey documents have been submitted. The Postmark will establish the beginning of the ten (10) working days.
- Separate notifications and fees are required for renovations and demolitions at the same facility. Notifications cannot be combined.
- If, in the course of a demolition or renovation, it is determined that the project belongs in a higher fee category than initially determined, an owner/operator shall revise the original notification and pay the balance of the fee for the higher category.
- The Department's fee requirements are not applicable when the NESHAP demolition or asbestos removal project is in a school, college, or university.
Fees can be paid via the Pinellas County Citizen Access Portal, by check or credit card.
Make check payable to "PC BCC". Include a copy of the official notification and mail or deliver to:
Air Quality Division
509 East Avenue South, Ste. 138
Clearwater, FL 33756
Credit Card Payment (Visa and Mastercard only)
Have the following information in hand and call (727) 464-4422:
- Project facility name and address
- Credit card
- Billing address of credit card
- Contact name
- Contact phone number
- Email address
Fees Authorized per Section 58-90(15), Pinellas County Code.
|Building size < or = 2000 sq. ft.||$360|
|Building size >2,000 and <5,000 sq. ft.||$480|
|Building size 5,000 - 24,999 sq. ft.||$600|
|Building size 25,000 - 49,999 sq. ft.||$840|
|Building size 50,000 - 74,999 sq. ft.||$1,080|
|Building size 75,000 - 99,999 sq. ft.||$1,320|
|Building size 100,000 sq. ft. and greater||$1,440|
|Demolition - Portable commercial structure relocation: the removing from a foundation of any mobile or portable public or commercial structure. The intent is not to destroy or dismantle the structure, but to take out load stabilizing supports to re-support with same, at a new location. (Public or commercial mobile or portable structures include but are not limited to modular buildings, modular offices, portable buildings, and construction trailers).||$50 per structure|
|0 - 159 sq. ft.||$0|
|160 - 420 sq. ft.||$360|
|0 - 259 linear ft.||$0|
|160 - 420 linear ft.||$360|
|421 - 1,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$480|
|1,001 - 4,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$720|
|4,001 - 7,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$960|
|7,001 - 10,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$1,200|
|10,001 - 20,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$1,320|
|20,001 - 30,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$1,460|
|Greater than 30,000 combination sq. ft. and linear ft.||$1,600|
|Planned Renovation (annual notification): Asbestos removal projects that are individually under the threshold but cumulatively in a calendar year (January 1 through December 31) are at or above the threshold and subject to notification requirements.||$360|
|0 - 34 cu. ft.||$0|
|35 - 44 cu. ft.||$360|
|45 - 54 cu. ft.||$600|
|55 - 64 cu. ft.||$840|
|65 - 74 cu. ft.||$1,080|
|75 - 84 cu. ft.||$1,320|
|85 - 100 cu. ft.||$1,460|
|Greater than 100 cu. ft.||$1,600|
Other Important Fees
- After-the-fact notifications are double the normal fee.
- For phased renovation projects, the fee is based on the amount of asbestos in each phase per the above schedule.
- A late revision to a notification is $250.