Building Activities & Asbestos Management Procedures
Building Activities which might disturb asbestos
Numerous building activities involve disturbing asbestos-containing materials that could put people at risk, and which could potentially result in liability and/or regulatory enforcement actions. Typical activities, which might disturb asbestos, are:
- Renovations where building materials or components are altered or removed
- Demolition of buildings or structural supports
- Maintenance on boilers, piping, and HVAC systems
- Maintenance on equipment in and around ceilings
- Cable installation, replacement or maintenance
- Flooring removal or repair
- Roofing removal or repair
- Ceiling tile maintenance or repair
- Painting, repair or cleaning of spray-applied acoustical coatings or texture
Asbestos Management Procedures
Proper asbestos management procedures should be followed before beginning any activity that might disturb materials containing asbestos.
- A written asbestos survey is required before demolition of a building (removal of any load bearing, structural supports), and before building renovations (this includes maintenance on various building systems). These materials could either be coated or covered with asbestos containing materials.
- Only a licensed asbestos consultant can perform asbestos surveys in the State of Florida.
- Only licensed asbestos contractors may remove asbestos-containing materials.
- Licensure as an asbestos contractor is not required for removal of certain types of material. You must contact the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) if you have questions about any asbestos license exemptions.
- Written notification is required to be submitted ten (10) working days prior to any demolition, and ten (10) working days prior to removal of any Regulated Asbestos Containing Material (RACM).
509 East Avenue South, Ste. 138
Clearwater, Florida 33756
- All records of asbestos-related activities, including asbestos survey reports, asbestos removal specifications, contractual agreements, asbestos regulations and disposal manifests should be maintained on file indefinitely.
- A written asbestos survey report must be available on-site during any renovation activity in Pinellas County. Pinellas County requires that a copy of the asbestos survey report accompany the written or online notification for demolition operations.
- Under no circumstances should untrained, uncertified or non-licensed individuals handle asbestos-containing materials.
- No person shall cannibalize any equipment or building components prior to having a complete written asbestos survey and a determination that an asbestos hazard is not present on the affected equipment or building component(s).
- All Regulated Asbestos Containing Material (RACM) must be removed prior to the demolition of a building or structure, or any activity that may breakup or disturb the RACM.