Spring 2020 Enrollment - Open
Pinellas Citizen University
Class of 2018
Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) offers residents a behind-the-scenes look at how our departments provide first-class services in our community through exciting field trips and tours.
The course runs for six weeks on Wednesday nights, March 4 - April 8, 2020, with two optional Saturday sessions.
During the six-week course, participants will learn about the five goals of the Countyls Strategic Plan with a focus on how our employees are setting the standard for public service and making Pinellas an even better place to call home.
- Learn about the budget and better understand how the County manages funds, including the Penny for Pinellas.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Pinellas County Jail and its facility operations.
- See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm and how to stay safe.
- Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment used to bring you safe, effective transportation and faster travel.
- Tour the Waste-to-Energy Facility at Solid Waste and learn how it processes over 800,000 tons of waste per year, providing electricity to power 40,000 homes.
- Find out how our Utilities department delivers safe, high-quality drinking water and reuses wastewater for irrigation.
- Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in your community.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
- Animal Services
- Board of County Commissioners
- Consumer Protection
- County Administration
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services & Fire Administration
- Marketing & Communications
- Office of Management and Budget
- Parks & Conservation Resources
- Public Works
- Regional 9-1-1
- Safety & Emergency Services
- Sheriff’s Office/Pinellas County Jail
- Solid Waste
- Volunteer Services
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Classes meet for six consecutive weeks on Wednesday evenings, from 5:30/6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., with two optional Saturday morning class.
- Registration is free and includes snacks, all course materials, graduation ceremony, class photo, and diploma.
- Applications are available online at Eventbrite or by calling (727) 464-4600. The deadline to apply for this yearls session is Friday, February 28.
- Class enrollment for Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) will be limited to the first 40 applicants, with selection made on a first-come, first-served basis. Those who apply after the initial 40 available slots are filled will be notified that the class is full. In case of cancellations, the first application received after the original 40 will be offered the available slot.
- Due to high demand, only students who have not previously attended PCU will be considered.
- Each session involves considerable amounts of walking, stair climbing, standing, and sitting.
- Please indicate any requested accommodations on application form.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the various sessions located throughout Pinellas County.
Upon acceptance, a packet will be emailed to all participants with instructions, meeting places, list of classes, and other session information.
For additional information on Pinellas Citizen University, call 727-464-4600.