Pinellas County Government Internships (Non-Paid)
Gain job experience and build your resume while creating important connections to professionals in your field.
High school and college students currently enrolled, in good standing, in an educational program that has a formal academic student internship component may apply for a Pinellas County Government internship. The internship has to be for academic credit or offered through the school’s program.
It's easy to become a intern:
- Review the positions to select those of interest.
- Complete a quick, easy application.
- A volunteer site coordinator will contact you by phone or email.
- Questions? Call Volunteer Services at (727) 464-3367, option 2.
Please check back often since this page is updated regularly.
Opportunities are listed by department in alphabetical order:
Human Resources provides personnel services for the Pinellas County Unified Personnel System which includes over 3,100 employees. Staff provide expert services related to recruiting, performance management, benefits, wellness, compensation, learning opportunities, employee relations, recognition, employee communication and volunteers.
- Video Intern (remote) - Work with staff to create video ads for social media, build brand promotion, research department-related content to share with social media followers, and contribute to other creative developments. Ideal candidate has a knowledge of graphic design and social media platforms plus skill in editing photos and videos.
Forward Pinellas serves as the Pinellas Planning Council and Metropolitan Planning Organization to provide guidance on local decisions and transportation planning.
- Communications Intern (remote or on-site in Clearwater) - Work on social media, graphic design, website design and maintenance, blog writing and marketing. Ideal candidate is an organized self-starter with excellent writing skills and an ability to learn new technology and processes quickly. A background in photography and/or videography is a plus.
Management & Budget
Management & Budget provides budget and financial management services for Pinellas County Government. Staff are responsible for the development and administration of a $2.7 billion dollar budget in collaboration with a diverse group of departments, agencies and independent partners.
- Socrata Intern (remote) - Assist with data management and maintenance of the Socrata performance dashboards which includes day-to-day tasks as well as larger data projects.
Public Works manages infrastructure and environmental resources for Pinellas County. Services include mowing, urban forestry, mosquito control, traffic control, sidewalks, roads, drainage, and bridge maintenance.
- Engineer Student Intern (on-site, Clearwater) - Assist with quality control by reviewing plans and performing quantity take offs.
Duties may include drainage and transportation research, cost estimation and information tracking, infrastructure design using AutoCAD and/or GIS; document and permit preparation, asset management and project management support, and other tasks for civil, transportation, stormwater and environmental projects. Must have completed basic hydrology and hydraulics, transportation or construction management courses at an ABET-accredited university.
- Urban Forestry Planting Program Intern (on-site, Clearwater) – Assist in the observation and documentation of tree planting site conditions and maintenance needs. Work is primarily outdoors and will include driving to planting sites throughout Pinellas County, collecting and entering data on an iPad, making additional edits/summaries of site conditions at the desktop, and interacting with the public when necessary. Intern may support tree inventory staff and volunteers with data collection or editing when necessary.
Solid Waste & Recycling
Solid Waste processes a million tons of trash a year in the Waste-to-Energy Facility in St. Petersburg, plus offers drop-off recycling, recycled mulch and hazardous waste recycling/disposal.
- Water/Wastewater Plant Operations Intern (on-site) - Work under the supervision of a licensed operator at the Industrial Wastewater Treatment Facility located at the Waste-to-Energy Facility. Perform scheduled and preventive maintenance checks on equipment and operational systems, water quality sampling, and data management.
Utilities South Cross Bayou
South Cross Bayou Water Reclamation Facility located in St. Petersburg is the largest wastewater treatment facility in Pinellas County. The facility recovers resources from wastewater including reclaimed water for irrigation, biosolids for fertilizer pellets, and gas for renewable energy. Staff is responsible for operation of the wastewater facility and close to 200 pump stations.
- Plant Operations Intern (on-site) - Work on quality control with SCADA programmers, in warehouse support, as an assistant to a mechanic or electrician, or do basic lab work. Duties may include some clerical and clean-up related tasks. Must be enrolled in a related high school or college program.