Less than 15% of the waste we receive ends up in our landfill. We recycle the remaining 85% or convert it to energy in the Waste-to-Energy (WTE) facility. Pinellas County Utilities maintains the only operational municipal solid waste landfill in the County, the Bridgeway Acres Landfill. Landfilling solid waste is a permanent disposal process by which we spread, compact, and cover (seal) waste with ash from the Waste-to-Energy facility or soil.
A bentonite clay slurry wall is keyed into a natural clay layer beneath the site. The clay layer and slurry wall join to create a “bathtub” effect, which prevents any water or leachate from discharging off the site. This controls odor and protects the surrounding environment by preventing air and water from seeping into the waste.
Because Pinellas County has limited landfill space and we have more environmentally sound options available to us, we use our landfill only to manage waste that we can neither combust nor recycle. Types of waste we divert to the landfill include construction debris, non-burnable wastes, oversized materials and other special wastes. We also use the landfill as a backup when the WTE plant's boilers are not functioning or the plant is unable to store all incoming municipal solid waste.
Call (727) 464-7500 or email to request a tour or schedule a solid waste presentation.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead contact this office by phone or in writing.