Transportation Task Force
Transportation Task Force Guiding Principles
The Pinellas County Transportation Task Force was formed to identify and develop recommendations from the perspective of a 25-year long term plan recognizing that the county must stay attuned to changing needs and financial requirements and solutions that will need to be frequently reviewed, modified and applied. The principles they will follow include:
- Realize that integrated transportation systems including transit, trails, roads and sidewalks are critical to the sustainability of our quality of life, public safety, economic vitality and job creation. Greater access and mobility will positively impact residents, commuters and visitors, which results in more efficient movement of goods and freight within our market place.
- Focus on public safety as the highest concern along with congestion mitigation, air quality and energy savings which are also of great priority.
- Discuss and identify new funding sources as part of the solutions.
- Work together on developing recommendations to fund and implement projects that are identified as regional priorities.
- Look at compatibility and regional connectivity with neighboring counties as part of our overall transportation network.
- Integrate an inter-modal system with bus and eventually, light or commuter rail systems for longer term solutions, both intra-county and regionally for true mobility.
- Support a transportation system that can become more “transit-friendly.”
- Focus on transportation needs from a livable community vantage in order to attract new businesses, housing, and well-paying jobs to our community and improving the quality of life for everyone.
- Determine land use changes that will promote transit oriented development and greater densities within activity centers in order to support additional transit services, bikeways and sidewalks in a livable community atmosphere, focusing on consistency between jurisdictions and extensive coordination efforts.
- Make recommendations that provide tangible benefits across the geographical diversity of needs of our County.
- Make sure that public outreach is optimum in order to obtain community consensus on the recommendations.
Transportation Task Force Home