County Information Desk:
As a requirement of the State's Manatee Management Plan, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) recently evaluated manatee protection measures on the western side of Pinellas County. A similar study was undertaken for the Tampa Bay side of the County in 2003. As a result of this analysis, FWC is considering new manatee protection zones and has requested that the County form a Local Rule Review Committee (LRRC) to review and comment on their proposed zones. The LRRC is a volunteer group of concerned stakeholders that is comprised of an equal number of boating/marine industry advocates and manatee/environmental advocates.
- More information on this process can be found at the LRRC Notice to County from the FWC
The Committee will be working on this project over the next two months and this page will be updated regularly with additional information as it becomes available.
Upcoming meetings scheduled:
- No further meetings are scheduled at this time as the committee has completed its task.
- June 4, 2014 - minutes
- May 28, 2014 - minutes
- May 21, 2014 - minutes
- May 13, 2014 - minutes
- May 8, 2014 - minutes
- May 2, 2014 - minutes
- April 22, 2014 - minutes
Information provided from the FWC:
- Contact Information
- LRRC Notice to County from the FWC
- LRRC Cover Letter
- LRRC Rulemaking Process
- Marine Animals Regulation: 379.2431
- Chapter: 68C-22 Manatees
- Manatee Data Review
- LRRC Preliminary Area Discussion
- Combined Maps Potential and Existing Zones
- Map of Acute vs Cronic Mortality
- Information from FWC Requested by the LRRC
Status and Updates:
Please contact Pinellas County Water and Navigation staff at (727) 453-3385 if you have any questions or require any additional information.