HEC3 / Swap Shop
Household Electronics and Chemical Collection Center (HEC3):
Pinellas County Solid Waste operates the Household Electronics and Chemical Collection Center (HEC3) as a disposal location for certain household waste. Pinellas County residents are invited to bring their unwanted electronics and chemicals to the center (at no charge). Businesses, visit here for information.
What to Bring:
Electronics: Cell phones, computer towers/CPUs, drives (e.g. hard drives, CD drives), laptops, monitors, rechargeable batteries (remove from device, place device in garbage), smart phones, tablets, televisions (must be whole).
- Chemicals: Automotive fluids, batteries (household or vehicle), cleaners, cooking oil, fertilizers, fluorescent bulbs and other mercury-containing devices, fuels (e.g. gasoline, kerosene), fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, motor oil, paint (latex or oil), paint remover, paint thinner, pesticides, pool chemicals, rechargeable batteries (button or vehicle), smoke detectors, solvents, wood preservatives. Note: Alkaline batteries may be put in the garbage.
To find out how to get rid of other electronics, chemicals, and special wastes, review the A to Z Guide for Recycling and Disposal in Pinellas County.
Quantity Limits per vehicle:
- (6) Televisions (must be whole)
- (20) 1-gallon paint containers
- (5) 5-gallon containers of paint (all empty containers may be put in garbage)
- (5) Computers
- (12) Fluorescent bulbs
- (5) 5-gallon containers of automotive fuel, gasoline, or kerosene
- (1) 5-gallon container of automotive fluids & oil
Customers with quantities in excess of the limits above, or with electronics stripped of precious metals, may be considered a business. Loads will be evaluated upon arrival. Visit Business Hazardous Waste Disposal for more information.
The Swap Shop, located at HEC3, offers used household products such as paint, cleaners, and automotive fluids FREE of charge to Pinellas County residents. One resident painted her entire house with paint she found at the Swap Shop! Despite the name, there is no need to swap. However, because items are free, availability can change by the minute! Quantities may be limited. Electronics are not included in the Swap Shop Program.
Return to top