HEC3 / Swap Shop
HEC3: Electronic / Chemical drop-off
Pinellas County Solid Waste operates the Household Electronics and Chemical Collection Center (HEC3) as a permanent disposal location for certain household waste. Pinellas County residents are invited to bring their unwanted electronics and chemicals to the center (at no charge). Businesses including non-profits and religious organizations, haulers, hobbyists, property managers and scavengers visit here for information.
What to Bring:
Electronics: Cell phones, computer towers/CPUs, drives (e.g. hard drives, CD drives), laptops, monitors, rechargeable batteries (remove from device, place device in garbage), smart phones, tablets, televisions.
- Chemicals: Automotive fluids, batteries (household or vehicle), cleaners, cooking oil, fertilizers, fluorescent bulbs and other mercury containing devices, fuels (e.g. gasoline, kerosene), fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, motor oil, paint (latex or oil), paint remover, paint thinner, pesticides, pool chemicals, rechargeable batteries (button or vehicle), smoke detectors, solvents, wood preservatives.
- To find out how to get rid of other electronics, chemicals and special wastes review the A to Z Guide for Recycling and Disposal in Pinellas County.
How to Package and Transport Chemicals:
- Do NOT mix chemicals together.
- Keep products in original labeled containers if possible.
- Place containers in cardboard boxes. Use crumpled
newspaper to prevent breakage.
- Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags and
transport in boxes with newspaper.
- Put boxes in the trunk or in the back of vehicle
away from passenger.
- For batteries, please cover terminals with heavy tape, or place individual batteries in separate plastic bags to prevent short-circuits.
The Swap Shop, located at HEC3, offers used household products such as paint, cleaners, and automotive fluids FREE of charge to Pinellas County residents. One resident painted her entire house with paint she found at the Swap Shop! Despite the name, there is no need to swap. However, because items are free, availability can change by the minute! Quantities may be limited. Electronics are not included in the Swap Shop Program.
Return to top