Mobile collections are a convenient way for residents to safely dispose of hazardous chemicals and electronics, such as old computers, TVs, paint or fertilizer. These events are FREE to Pinellas County citizens. Businesses pay a fee.
Mobile collection events are held on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at various locations throughout the county. Just load your vehicle with hazardous items such as paint or a TV, and go to the event location. Staff will remove the items from your vehicle. Most items will be recycled, except pesticides which must be incinerated. Mobile collections are held in partnership with the cities and the county's hazardous waste contractors.
- Quantity guidelines for HEC3 residential customers for dropping off hazardous chemicals and electronics
How to package & transport chemicals
- Do NOT mix chemicals together.
- Keep products in original labeled containers if possible.
- Place containers in cardboard boxes. Use crumpled newspaper to prevent breakage.
- Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags and transport in boxes with newspaper.
- Put boxes in the trunk or in the back of vehicle away from passenger.
- Cover battery terminals with heavy tape or place individual batteries in separate plastic bags to prevent short-circuits.
Items NOT accepted:
These "special" hazardous waste items are not accepted at mobile collections:
- appliances (such as a refrigerator)
- explosives (including guns)
- fire extinguishers
- medical, biological, or infectious waste
- propane tanks
- radioactive waste
Collections will be held as scheduled during rain. In the case of lightning, the event will be temporarily suspended for 30 minutes for the safety of our staff. In the event of a predicted tropical depression or hurricane, collection events will be cancelled.
- HEC3: Bring hazardous items year-round to our permanent hazardous waste facility (HEC3) in St. Petersburg.
- Haz-to-Go: Community groups such as homeowners associations can book the Haz-to-Go trailer to hold their own mobile collection event.
- Business: There are inexpensive options for disposal of business hazardous waste.
For more information on mobile collections, call (727) 464-7500 or e-mail.