Pinellas County tours is a fascinating way to educate students and the public about our facilities and environmental programs. All tours and presentations are free and are approved by the Pinellas County School Board. Tours and presentations can be tailored on request to accommodate times and audience needs. Presentations are available only to groups in Pinellas County, from small groups to auditorium sized audiences. Please note: Presenters prefer a digital projection device that accepts USB input.
Tours and Presentations:
Recycling and Solid Waste Operations Tour
2940 110th Ave. N., St. Petersburg
Visit Pinellas County Solid Waste and learn that there’s No Such Place as “Away” for your garbage, and how you can protect the planet and our community.
- Tours are available Monday through Friday, by appointment, with beginning times between 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Tours take approx. 90 minutes. Tours starting later may be available by special arrangement. Facility closes at 6:00 p.m.
- Tours in on-site county vehicles are for ages 7 and above.
- Free bus transportation may be offered to Pinellas County schools and educational groups of 21 or more (3rd grade and above).
- Groups located outside of Pinellas County are welcome if they provide their own transportation.
- Handicapped-accessible tours are available with advance notice.
- Monthly tours are available the 1st Friday of every month from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Register on Eventbrite at www.eventbrite.com and type “ Pinellas County Solid Waste,” or call (727) 464-7500 to request to be placed on list for monthly tours (please schedule one week prior to tour date).
- To schedule a tour, call (727) 464-7500 or complete this form.
- For more information, see tour details.
Speakers / Presentations:
Speakers can tailor their message to reinforce a particular class curriculum.
Please note: Scheduling is based on staff availability.
Waste Reduction or Recycling Topics:
- No Such Place As AWAY! - Solid Waste - Ever wonder what happens to your garbage when you throw it away? This presentation covers Pinellas County’s integrated solid waste management system; including waste-to-energy, sanitary landfills, recycling programs, and the household electronics and chemical collection center (HEC3). Audiences are encouraged to take responsibility by reducing, reusing, and recycling their wastes and “closing the loop” by shopping for items made with post-consumer recycled content. Video (DVD) optional. Recommended audience: Elementary School - Adults - Call (727) 464-7500 to schedule a presentation.
- Commercial, Institutional and Industrial Waste Reduction - Solid Waste - Learn how your business or facility can reduce waste, increase recycling and buy recycled content supplies. Save money through waste reduction and recycling items such as paper, cardboard, aluminum cans and plastic bottles. Local vendor services information and practical suggestions provided. Recommended audience: 18 years old - Adults - Call (727) 464-7500 to schedule a presentation.
- Proper Disposal of Medicines - Solid Waste Operations – Learn the proper way to dispose of old, leftover and unused medicines to protect the environment. This presentation will explain how disposed medicines affect the water and waste disposal systems. Length of presentation: 5 to 30 minutes. If organizations have more time, information can be added regarding recycling and proper waste disposal. Recommended audience: Adults - Call (727) 464-7500 to schedule a presentation.
Other Pinellas County Tours:
- Brooker Creek Preserve Environmental Education Center
- Heritage Village & Historical Museum
- Weedon Island Preserve Cultural and Natural History Center
- Florida Botanical Gardens
- County Parks: Guided Hikes and Nature Walks