The Sunstar FirstCare Ambulance Membership Plan
The Sunstar FirstCare Ambulance Membership Plan is not an insurance plan. It is a Pinellas County government program that works with an individual’s (or family’s) insurance plan to cover 100 percent of expenses associated with deductibles and copayments and 50% of cost for transports denied for non-covered charges by your insurance plan.
Sunstar FirstCare Ambulance Membership Plan Quick Facts:
- Eligibility: The Plan covers ambulance transports originating and ending in Pinellas County by Sunstar ambulance units only. The Membership does not cover transports via Sunstar's Mental Health Transport Van. The Family Membership Plan covers family members related by blood, adoption, or marriage who permanently reside in the same household as the primary member.
- Coverage: If you have insurance, membership will cover the costs that would typically be your responsibility such as deductibles and/or copays. The membership plan will also cover 50 percent of the cost for any trips denied for non-covered charges by the insurance company. If plan members are uninsured, they receive a 20 percent discount on ambulance transportation services.
- Annual Fees:Annual membership fees are $63 for a single membership; $98 for a family membership. The average cost of an emergency ambulance transport is $707.
- No membership cards required
- Enrollment opens Dec. 1, 2016.
Coverage period: New member coverage: Completed applications with payment in full, received prior to the end of the calendar year, will be effective on January 1st. Completed applications with payment in full received after January 1st, will be effective on the postmark date.
Renewal member coverage: Completed applications with payment in full, will be effective April 1st. Renewal applications must have a postmark date prior to April 1st in order to avoid an interruption of coverage.
All memberships expire on March 31st of the following year. Members whose applications/payments are received postmarked after March 31st will not have coverage for a full 12-month period. Membership fees will not be pro-rated.
- Call (727) 582-2008 for additional information or to have an application form mailed to you; or