Until further notice, the pedestrian bridge at the southern tip of the park will be closed. The closure is to allow for inspection of the supporting structure and to ensure all aspects of the bridge are secure.
A Native American mound and majestic shade trees welcome visitors at the oldest park in Pinellas County.
Take in the view of Old Tampa Bay while strolling along a one-mile shoreline. Enjoy picnicking, fishing and historical points of interest. Kids love the playground, a rock climbing park, ball field and open spaces to roam. A public boat ramp with access to Tampa Bay is open during park hours.
The Temple Mound was built by Native Americans known as the Tocobaga. It is the largest remaining mound in the Tampa Bay region and is listed in the National Register of Historic Landmarks. The mound was made of alternating layers of shell and sand. Remains of posts indicate there was at least one structure on top, possibly used for ceremonial purposes or the chief’s dwelling. Archeologists believe the ramp led to a “town plaza” at the base of the mound. Learn more>
- 8 picnic shelters with grills
reserve shelters online
- boat ramp (fee charged)
- fishing - saltwater license may be required
- historic interest/Indian mound
- 2 playgrounds
- softball field
- water fountains
Philippe Park was acquired in 1948, making it the oldest park in the county. This historically rich park bears the name of Count Odet Philippe who introduced citrus culture to Florida. The existing park property was part of the original Philippe plantation from which several citrus trees still remain.
Who was Odet Philippe?
One of the more colorful figures in Pinellas County’s past, Odet was the first permanent, non-native settler on the Pinellas County peninsula, acquiring 160 acres of land in what is today Safety Harbor in 1842. He was a successful businessman who introduced cigar making and citrus to Tampa Bay. His descendents, including the McMullen and Booth families, are among the county’s most well known pioneer clans. Philippe was buried in the park – his former plantation – in 1869, but the exact location of the grave site is not known.
- 2/4/17 - Best Damn Race
Park will open at 9 a.m.