Classification & Compensation Study
Human Resources is leading the Unified Personnel System (UPS) through a comprehensive Classification and Compensation Study. The objective is to determine if jobs are classified correctly and compensated equitably and competitively. The last study was conducted by Temple and Associates in 2004 and the recommendations were implemented in 2005. That study was followed by periodic cyclic classification reviews and salary studies conducted by Human Resources staff.
Documents are provided as Adobe Acrobat PDF files
SECONDARY REVIEW RESULTS UPDATE 12/4/18
Evergreen Solutions and Human Resources continue to work together to ensure Evergreen's recommendations for the secondary review requests are complete and accurate. Employees should receive their individual results by email in mid-December.
News & Updates
- October 23, 2018 - Evergreen Solutions provides a Pay Policy Report with recommendations for pay policies.
- October 1, 2018 - General increase of 3% of midpoint.
- September 30, 2018 - Pay grade adjustments of 2%.
- September 24 - Secondary review request deadline. A total of 525 Classified employees requested secondary reviews, including 106 with a downward reclassification.
- September 18 - Notification letters were sent to Classified employees.
- September 16 - Effective date for new Classified Pay Plan, class specifications and study-related pay increases.
- September 12, 2018 - Classified employees were individually notified by email of classification and/or pay grade
changes related to their position.
- September 12, 2018 - New and revised class specifications for Classified employees were posted to the website.
- September 7, 2018 - Emails sent to Classified employees and Exempt employees
- September 6, 2018 - The Unified Personnel Board adopted new classification plans and pay plans for Classified employees (view agenda).
- August 2, 2018 - Human Resources presented recommendations related to the proposed classification and compensation plans to the Unified Personnel Board (view agenda). The vote was tabled until the September 6 meeting.
July 9 to 13, 2018 - Evergreen Solutions provided information sessions to over 650 employees (view presentation).
- May 2018 - Evergreen Solutions provided a Report of Findings and Recommendations. Human Resources provided an Executive Summary.
- December 2018 - Evergreen Solutions provides results of their review of the secondary review requests to Human Resources. Employees will receive their individual results by email.
- December 2018 - Downward reclassification appeal process with Human Resources Director.
- December 2018 to March 2019 - Downward reclassification appeal process with Unified Personnel Board.
- FY19 - Address implementation for Exempt employees.
- The consultant, Evergreen Solutions, LLC, began work in May 2017.
- The study includes three primary components:
- Classification Study - This involves conducting job analysis and evaluating current job classifications, and updating existing class specifications. Job analysis examines the position, and not the talents and qualifications, of the person in the position.
- Compensation Study - This involves a comprehensive market salary survey of targeted public and private sector organizations. The study will also examine pay equity issues, identify corrective solutions as needed, and provide recommendations for strategies to avoid problems with pay equity in the future.
- Pay Administration Review - This involves a review of the County’s current compensation rules and guidelines, with recommendations for changes that will ensure that compensation remains competitive in future years.
- Job Assessment Tool (JAT): Approximately 90% of
employees completed a JAT form in July 2017.
- Employee Information Sessions:
- Study Launch (January 2017 article in The Pen)
- Contact the Pay & Classification staff by calling (727) 464-3367, sending an email, or submitting a form.
Return to top