Retiree: Dental Plan
Pinellas County provides dental coverage to its retirees through Cigna with a choice of two plans: HMO and PPO. Your enrollment form must be received by Benefits within 31 days of your leaving active employment. This is your only opportunity to enroll in the group plans. Plan design and premiums can be changed at any time with approval from the Board of County Commissioners.
All documents are in PDF format.
Use the Cigna website or app to:
- Find a dentist (including ratings and reviews)
- Access click-to-chat (online chat)
- View your claims
- Get cost estimates
- Print an ID card
- Review your coverage
The Group Dental Plan coverage is available to retirees if you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You are a participant in the FRS Pension Plan and are leaving County service to receive regular, early, or disability retirement benefits, or
- You are a participant in the FRS Investment Plan, are leaving County service and either meet the age and service requirements to qualify for normal retirement (age 62 and vested or 30 years of service if hired before July 1, 2011 or age 65 and vested or 33 years of service if hired after that date) or have 6 years of creditable service (hired before July 1, 2011) or 8 years of creditable service (hired after July 1, 2011) and have reached age 59 1/2.
- Enrollment is subject to the eligibility provisions and pre-existing condition limitations of the Group Plan.
Quick Comparison Chart
||Copayments apply based on the procedure and the established fee schedule
||100% coverage for first $150 then 50% of next $2,700
||No maximum annual benefit
||Maximum plan year benefit of $1,500
||Must choose a network dentist
||Use any provider, but in-network is recommended for cost savings
||Covered for children and adults ($1,500 lifetime maximum)
|Eligibility for Children
||Through the end of the calendar year in which they reach age 24
||Through the end of the calendar year in which they reach age 25
Cigna Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plan
Cigna HMO Premiums Per Month
|Retiree + 1
|Retiree + 2 or more
- Network benefits only. You are required to choose a dentist from the network. To locate a network provider:
- Before scheduling an appointment, please contact Cigna Member Services at (800) 244-6224 to
select your dentist.
- Preventive services such as annual exams, x-rays, and cleanings are at no cost.
- No maximum annual benefit.
- Copayments apply based on the procedure and the established fee schedule.
- Specialist services, including pediatric dentists, are discounted at 25%.
- Orthodontics are not included.
- Coverage provides 2 cleanings and up to
4 exams per year as described in the Dental Charge Schedule.
- ID cards are issued. Once you receive your card, contact Cigna to select your dental provider.
Cigna Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plan
Cigna PPO Premiums Per Month
|Retiree + 1
|Retiree + 2 or more
- The premiums charged for retirees and dependents are shown above.
- You may use any dentist, or choose a Cigna Radius network provider to reduce your costs. If you use a dentist outside the Cigna Radius network, you will pay more for the same service.
- Plan pays 100% of the first $150 of covered expenses, and 50% thereafter in the plan year up to a $1,500 maximum reimbursement per each covered member per calendar year (includes orthodontics).
- No deductibles or pre-existing condition limitations.
- Coverage provides 3 cleanings and 2 exams
- No ID cards are issued. Register at www.mycigna.com to get a subscriber ID number to provide to your dental office.
- See the Dental Claim Form.
- For more info:
Dental Resources from Cigna
See Cigna Dental Health Resources for articles on topics such as dental anxiety, gum disease, dental emergencies, effects of smoking on your teeth, oral surgery preparation, types of dentists, kids' dental health, etc.
Return to top