Built in 1912 by William B. Harris, the original schoolhouse was located on Haines Road in St. Petersburg and was used until 1923 when it was replaced by a new school.
This replica of the original schoolhouse was built in 1987 at Heritage Village as part of the celebrations commemorating the 75th anniversary of the creation of Pinellas County.
A Truly Classic School:
As class enrollment grew, they “modernized” the school with flush toilets, a workroom and a larger blackboard. A windmill, used to pump water, stood at the back of the original school building in its rural setting. Construction on a replacement building occurred as the 1912 structure experienced overcrowding. During the 1924-1925 academic year enrollment in the “new” Harris School soared to over 100 pupils.
School Superintendent Dixie Hollins started “Pig Clubs” at schools in the mid 1910s. This taught students, including the Harris children, how to care for farm animals. The extra activities kept the children busy and focused during the lazy summer months.
Students in Pinellas, such as those at Bay View School, kept jars of sugar cane syrup with their names on them in the closet. They dipped bread, biscuits and sweet potatoes into the syrup as part of lunch.