Public transportation, clean vehicles, reducing congestion, trails
Pinellas County Educational Initiatives:>
Pinellas County Programs and Best Practices:
- Pinellas County Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) – Develops plans, policies and priorities that guide local decision making on transportation issues. MPO prioritized listing of projects within Pinellas County and 2035 Long Range Transportation plan will include road improvements and accommodations for multimodal transit. The MPO also has a listing of planned programs and activities that include Livable Communities, Trails, Bicycle and Pedestrian Travel.
- Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) – Created by the Florida State Legislature in 2007 to develop and implement a Regional Transportation Master Plan for the seven-county West Central Florida region consisting of Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas and Sarasota counties.
- Fleet Management operates a biodiesel/ethanol fueling station for county vehicles.
- Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority (PSTA) uses environmentally friendly ways to wash buses, recycle oil and paper products. PSTA also uses special motor oil and diesel fuel and operates several diesel-electric hybrid buses.
- LED traffic lights have been installed by Public Works.
- The Sheriff’s Office employs bicycle patrol in neighborhoods.
- PC employees can use a telecommuting program to reduce traffic congestion and air pollution.
- Guide to the Pinellas County Trail – The Trail is a unique greenway corridor linking some of Pinellas County’s most picturesque parks, scenic coastal areas and residential neighborhoods. Each month, an average of 90,000 people enjoy bicycle riding, strolling or jogging on the trail.
- St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport (PIE) awarded stimulus funds for terminal renovation and improvements.
Pinellas County Policy and Directives:
- Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council – Brought together local governments and gubernatorial appointees to coordinate planning for the Region’s future, while providing a venue for analyzing issues, resolving problems, and sharing solutions among the 43 jurisdictions in Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco and Pinellas counties.
- Pinellas Trails, Inc. – A not-for-profit corporation that supports the Trail and related activities. The organization is comprised solely of volunteers who love the trail and are dedicated to its future success.