Pinellas County Fertilizer Ordinance No. 10-06 addresses the Retail Sale of Fertilizer containing Nitrogen or Phosphorous. Ordinance Retail Section 58-482 .
The purpose of the ordinance is to control the excessive or improper use of fertilizer in landscapes, which is a significant source of excess nutrient pollution to local waterbodies.
Details of Retail Sale Section 58-482 to maintain compliance:
- Retailers cannot sell any fertilizer that contains nitrogen or phosphorous between June 1 – September 30 each year.
- To request a copy of the current Fertilizer Compliance list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Granular and spike fertilizers with nitrogen must contain at least 50% slow release nitrogen.
- The Fertilizer Retail Guide details how to calculate percentage (%) of slow release nitrogen; includes the Pinellas County Fertilizer Retail Decision Tree.
- Retailers must post a notice about this ordinance.
Please PRINT Retail Notice and post where fertilizer is displayed for sale.
- Retail Notice: Pinellas County Fertilizer Ordinance - Flamingo Flyer
- Information to share with patrons: Pinellas County Fertilizer Ordinance Summary
Approved for retail sale during the restricted period:
- Composts, soils & seed mixes
- Fertilizers specifically labeled for indoor use, container plants only or hydroponic use
- Macronutrients such as potassium, sulfur, calcium, magnesium
- Micro-nutrients such as iron, magnesium, etc.
Pinellas County provides FREE professionally printed materials to help you educate your customers. Request materials by emailing email@example.com.