Fertilizer & Landscape Information
- June 1 - September 30: Skip the fertilizer during the summer rainy season.
- Near waterfront: Keep a 10 ft. buffer fertilizer free zone.
- Landscape maintenance: Blow grass clippings, sand and leaves back in the yard. Homeowner Landscape Class - sign up here
- Irrigation: Reclaimed water is liquid nutrients, conserve water and skip the fertilizer. Reduce fertilizer use
Incorrect use of fertilizer and poor landscape debris management can allow nutrients to leach into the groundwater and wash into storm drains that flow to creeks, lakes, Tampa Bay, or the Gulf of Mexico.
Excess nutrients can cause harmful algae blooms which lower oxygen levels and lead to fish kills. The treatment to remove these nutrients cost taxpayers millions of dollars each year. Nutrient pollutions can be controlled with your help. An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure!
Commercial Landscape Maintenance Professionals:
Fertilizer Applicator Professionals:
- Green Industry BMP: Do you get paid to apply fertilizer? All intended applicators must complete the GIBMP class and obtain the FDACS license before applying fertilizers.
Return to top