Home Healthcare Providers
to the Pinellas County website for home healthcare
This web page will
provide you with current information on the Pinellas
County Special Needs and Transportation Assistance
programs with the latest registration form and
answers to some frequently asked questions.
You will find an updated Special
Needs registration form here. There are two
forms: one can be filled in online and e-mailed
to us, the other can be downloaded, filled in,
and mailed or faxed to us. Please do not use any
Additional information can be found at:
Listed below are some areas we want to bring to your attention:
- This is a VOLUNTARY PROGRAM. Please ensure
that clients understand that they are being
registered and, if marked as needing transport,
they will be picked up by the fire department
and transported to a general or Special Needs
shelter. Do not register people who do not want
to be part of the program.
- Make a needs determination. Does the person
need to evacuate to a shelter? Mobile and manufactured
home residents should always evacuate; others
may do best by staying home. Friends, hotels,
motels or family may be better alternatives
for evacuation than a shelter.
- When registering a client please ensure that
you mark that transportation is required, if
that is the case. This is very important as
only registered residents will be transported.
We encourage registration for Special Needs
shelters but clients can go to these shelters
without registering if they have their own transportation.
- If you have questions on the medical acceptability
of a client for a Special Needs shelter, please
call the Department of Health at (727) 820-4155.
- Caregivers and families are encouraged to
- Be sure to fill out agency name and contact
in case we have questions.
- Clients residing in licensed healthcare facilities
are not eligible for transport or public sheltering.
- If a client’s needs exceed the capability
of our Special Needs shelters, please work with
the physician and client to arrange for admittance
to an appropriate healthcare facility.
- If registration forms are difficult to read
when you send them, they will be worse when
we receive them via fax; please ensure they
- There is a program for picking up pets if
a registrant is going to a Special Needs shelter.
They must preregister with Animal Services for
this program. Call (727) 582-2600.
- Registrants requesting transport will be contacted
by their local fire department when they are
added to the registration database.
- Annual reviews are made by the fire departments;
they will reconfirm the registrants in the system
each year prior to hurricane season.
- Do not wait until we are in a hurricane watch
to send in registration forms. We may not have
time to process the registration forms and arrange
- Pinellas County Emergency Management no longer
reviews disaster plans for Home Healthcare Providers.
They are now sent to the Department of Health.
If you have any questions about the Special Needs
or Transportation Assistance programs, please contact
the appropriate person listed below.
General program questions:
- Department of Health questions: (727) 820-4155