Spring 2019 Enrollment - Full
Pinellas Citizen University
Class of 2018
Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) offers residents a behind-the-scenes look at how our departments provide first-class services in our community through exciting field trips and tours.
The course runs for six weeks on Wednesday nights, March 13 - April 17, 2019, with two optional Saturday sessions.
During the six-week course, participants will learn about the five goals of the County’s Strategic Plan with a focus on how our employees are setting the standard for public service and making Pinellas an even better place to call home.
- Learn about the budget and better understand how the County manages funds, including the Penny for Pinellas.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Pinellas County Jail and its facility operations.
- See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm and how to stay safe.
- Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment used to bring you safe, effective transportation and faster travel.
- Tour the Waste-to-Energy Facility at Solid Waste and learn how it processes over 800,000 tons of waste per year, providing electricity to power 40,000 homes.
- Find out how our Utilities department delivers safe, high-quality drinking water and reuses wastewater for irrigation.
- Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in your community.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
- Animal Services
- Board of County Commissioners
- Consumer Protection
- County Administration
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services & Fire Administration
- Marketing & Communications
- Office of Management and Budget
- Parks & Conservation Resources
- Public Works
- Regional 9-1-1
- Safety & Emergency Services
- Sheriff’s Office/Pinellas County Jail
- Solid Waste
- Volunteer Services
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Classes meet for six consecutive weeks on Wednesday evenings, from 5:30/6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., with two optional Saturday morning class.
- Tuition is $35, which includes snacks, all course materials, graduation ceremony, class photo, and diploma.
- Each session involves considerable amounts of walking, stair climbing, standing, and sitting.
- Please indicate any requested accommodations on application form.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the various sessions located throughout Pinellas County.
Upon acceptance, a packet will be emailed to all participants with instructions, meeting places, list of classes, and other session information.
For additional information on Pinellas Citizen University, call 727-464-4600.