Pinellas County requires a permit for any new building, addition, remodeling, or demolition, or work in excess of $500.00 or which would require an inspection.
We have compiled a list of the most common building permits. If you do not find on this list what you are planning or if you have questions, please call the Pinellas County Building Services at (727) 464-3888.
- Air Conditioning Permit
- Installation of or changing existing system.
- Aluminum Structure
- Screen rooms, carports, pool enclosure etc.
- Antenna Permit
- All antennas on 2" pole or larger.
- Demolition Permit
- Demolition of any structure.
- Electrical - Basic Work
- Changing or adding to existing electrical circuits.
- Adding additional loads to the electrical panel.
- Wiring of new equipment or appliances.
- Electrical Service Change
- Changing electric panel from fuses to circuit breakers or upgrading to a larger rating.
- Habitat / Tree Permit
- Tree count requirement, appropriate landscaping and tree list.
- Mobile Home Permit
- Replacement or setup of new mobile home.
- Plumbing Fixture Permit
- A plumbing permit is required when any fixture is relocated, or for the replacement of bathtub with shower or a whirlpool tub or shower pan.
- Residential Permit
- Construction of new home.
- A building permit is required for any addition to a one, two, or three family dwelling unit.
Roof Replacement Permit
- A permit is required for the replacement of an existing roof.
- Sewer Replacement Permit
- A plumbing permit is required for the replacement of an existing sewer.
- Soffits, Fascia and Siding
- A building permit is required for the replacement of the soffits and fascia as well as siding.
- Swimming Pool Permit
- A swimming pool permit is required for any type pool over 24" deep.
- Water Conditioner Permit
- A plumbing permit is required for the installation of any type water conditioner.
- Water Heater Permit
- A plumbing permit is required for the replacement of any water heater.
- Water Service Replacement Permit
- A plumbing permit is required for the replacement of the water service.
- Windows and Door Replacement
- A building permit is required for the replacement of all types of windows and all exterior doors including sliding glass doors and garage doors.
- Utility/Storage Sheds
- A building permit is required for a new or replacement of utility or storage shed greater then 100 square feet.
No Permits Needed:
The Pinellas County Building Department does not require Building permits for:
- Work of a strictly cosmetic nature (painting, wallpapering, carpeting, kitchen cabinets etc.)
- Roof work for less than $750 in value. see roofing policy
- More detailed information may found and viewed at FBC Chapter 1, 101.42 and Section 104.
May need other Permit or Clearance:
The following work does not require a Pinellas County Building Permit, but may need clearances and/or permits from other sections:
- Residential utility sheds less than 100 square feet – contact the Zoning Division (for setbacks)
- Fences: chain link, vinyl or wood, 6' or less in height – contact the Zoning Division (for height limitations) AND Engineering (for line of sight)
- Paving / driveways – contact Zoning (for impervious area), Environmental (for Habitat Permit) and Regulatory Services for the portion of the driveway/sidewalk in the right-of-way (Right-of-way Permit).
Zoning – 727-464-3401
Environmental/Habitat Permit – 727-464-3480
Regulatory Services/Right-of-way Permits – 727-464-3404
These do NOT apply to the communities that contract our services, or for properties outside of the unincorporated county, please check your local municipality/city.