Special District Information:
- The full legal name of the special district:
Pinellas County Emergency Medical Services Authority
- The public purpose of the special district:
To provide high quality emergency medical services, ambulance service and compassionate patient care countywide.
- Membership Information
- The fiscal year of the special district:
October 1 through September 30
- The full text of the special district’s charter (or special law, ordinance, or resolution creating the
Ch. 80-585, Laws of Florida, as amended.
- The date of establishment: 10/07/1980
- The establishing entity: State of Florida
- The statute(s) under which the special district operates, if different from the statute or statutes
under which the special district was established:
Florida Statutes §401.2101, et. seq.
- Contact Name: Craig Hare
- Mailing address: 12490 Ulmerton Road, Suite 134, Largo, FL 33774
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone number: (727) 582-5750
- Website URL: www.pinellascounty.org/ems
Boundary and Services Information
- A description of the boundaries or service area of the special district
The boundaries are the same as the boundaries of Pinellas County.
- Description of the services provided by the special district:
The Pinellas County Emergency Medical Services System provides exceptional rapid response and on scene patient care by Paramedics staffing Advanced Life Support (ALS) First Responder Units operated by 14 municipal Fire Departments and 4 Fire Districts. Continued patient care and ambulance transport is provided by Paramedics staffing the County’s Ambulance Service - Sunstar Paramedics. Pinellas County EMS is the third largest, multi-jurisdictional EMS System in the United States. The system responds to more than 225,000 calls and transports more than 175,000 patients annually. The system has 74 Paramedic (Advanced Life Support - ALS) first responder units, 91 Paramedic Ambulances and more than 1,600 paramedics and EMTs. The EMS Authority’s mission is to provide financial and operational oversight of all emergency medical services in Pinellas County.
- List all taxes, fees, assessments, or charges imposed and collected by the special district,
including the rates or amounts for the fiscal year and the statutory authority for the levy of the tax,
fee, assessment, or charge. (For purposes of this subparagraph, charges do not include patient
charges by a hospital or other health care provider.)
Pinellas County Code Art. II Sec. 54 provides the statutory authority for the Following EMS tax levy and ambulance user fees.
EMS annual millage rate: www.taxcollect.com/taxes/millage-rates;
Ambulance User Fees: www.sunstarems.com/about-sunstar/billing/billing-rates/
Primary contact information for the special district for purposes of communication from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO)
- DEO Contact Name: Craig A. Hare
- DEO Contact Address: Director of Pinellas County EMS & Fire
Administration, 12490 Ulmerton Road, Suite 134, Largo, FL 33774
- DEO Contact Email: email@example.com
- DEO Contact Phone: (727) 582-5750
- A code of ethics adopted by the special district, if applicable, and a hyperlink to generally
applicable ethics provisions.
State of Florida Code of Ethics for Public Officers and Employees
- The budget for the special district, in addition to amendments in accordance with s. 189.016.
Emergency Medical Service Fund Information
- The final, complete audit report for the most recent completed fiscal year, and audit reports
required by law or authorized by the governing body of the special district.