Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) Regular Public Meeting
|Regular Public Meeting||October 7, 2014||9:31 AM||Printable version|
Persons wishing to speak during the Citizens to be Heard portion of the agenda, excluding Regular Agenda items and Public Hearing items, must complete a yellow card. Persons wishing to speak regarding a Regular Agenda item or a Public Hearing item must complete a blue card. Cards should be given to staff at the table located at the front of the Assembly Room. At the scheduled section of the meeting when the item is before the Board of County Commissioners (Board), the Chair will call each speaker, one by one, to the podium to be heard. Each speaker may speak up to three minutes. Persons who have been authorized to represent a group of five or more individuals, who are present, should limit their presentation to 10 minutes. Items may be taken out of order by the Chair.
Invocation by Pastor Jerry Busby from Starkey Road Baptist Church in Seminole.
Pledge of Allegiance
I. PRESENTATIONS AND AWARDS
Duke Energy 2014 Energy Projects Rebate Presentation
World Sight Day Proclamation
Government Finance Officers Association Fiscal Year 2014 Distinguished Budget Presentation Award
II. SCHEDULED PUBLIC HEARINGS
The procedure used by the Board in conducting public hearings is to have a staff presentation followed by the applicant presenting the specific proposal. The Board will then hear comments from the proponents followed by comments from the opponents and a staff summary. The applicant will then be given an opportunity to close and the Board will decide on the matter. Please refer to the back of this agenda copy for more details on guidelines for time limitations and opportunities to speak.
COUNTYWIDE PLANNING AUTHORITY
Proposals to amend the adopted Countywide Plan Map:
1. Subthreshold Amendment – Case CW 14-20 – City of Seminole
2.3 acres more or less, located at 5800 Seminole Boulevard; amendment from Commercial General to Residential Urban.
2. Substantive Plan Change – Case CW 09-16 (Special Area Plan Change No. 1-2014) – City of Madeira Beach
Amendments to Madeira Beach Town Center Special Area Plan.
BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
3. Petition to Vacate submitted by Norman W. Bond and Chimayo, LLC for a portion of a right-of-way in Section A and D, San Merino Boulevard, Florida Riviera Subdivision, Plat No.5 (Legislative Hearing).
III. a. CITIZENS TO BE HEARD – (New Board-Related Business)
Arthur Hébert, Unincorporated Largo, re parking hazards for students.
David Ballard Geddis, Jr., Palm Harbor, re the value of a non-ad valorem, ad valorem.
Greg Pound, Largo, re truth in Pinellas.
Lenore Faulkner, Madeira Beach, re Pinellas middle school excellence.
IV. CONSENT AGENDA
All matters listed under this item are considered to be routine and action will be taken by one motion without separate discussion of each item. If discussion is desired by a member of the Board, that item(s) will be moved from the Consent Agenda and considered separately.
CLERK OF THE CIRCUIT COURT AND COMPTROLLER
9. Miscellaneous Items Received for Filing:
d. City of Largo Notices of Public Hearings held October 5, 2014, regarding proposed Ordinances Nos. 2014-151 through 2014-156, 2014-158 through 2014-163, and 2014-165 through 2014-166 annexing certain property.
e. City of Safety Harbor Ordinance No. 2014-15 adopted September 15, 2014, adopting Interlocal Service Boundary Agreement with Pinellas County, et al., pursuant to Chapter 171, Part II, Florida Statutes, and signed original agreement.
10. Approval of awards of bids with:
AUTHORITIES, BOARDS, CONSTITUTIONAL OFFICERS AND COUNCILS
Countywide Planning Authority
11. Minor Plan Change – Case CW 11-06 (Special Area Plan Change No. 1-2014) – City of Treasure Island
Approval of receipt and acceptance of a Minor Special Area Plan Change to the Countywide Future Land Use Plan.
V. REGULAR AGENDA
Parks and Conservation Resources
Real Estate Management
16. Approval to declare a portion of County-owned land surplus; adoption of a resolution to conduct a private sale; and approval of the contract for sale and purchase and County deed with MIDA Group, LLC.
18. Approval of the first amendment to the contracts with Homeless Emergency Project, Inc. and Westcare Gulfcoast-Florida, Inc. for the Homeless Shelter Beds for Adults Program (Health and Community Services).
19. Adoption of a resolution certifying that a Community Action Stops Abuse project to construct a shelter for survivors of domestic violence and their children is consistent with County plans and regulations (Planning and Development Services).
to be held on October 21, 2014
21. Approval of authority to advertise a public hearing amending Chapter 14 of the Pinellas County Code relating to animals by adopting rules providing for a pilot program for the trap, neuter, vaccinate and return of cats (Safety and Emergency Services).
22. Other administrative matters.
to be held on October 21, 2014
24. Approval of authority to advertise an ordinance relating to conflicts of interest for appointed advisory board members.
AUTHORITIES, BOARDS, AND COUNCILS
COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR REPORTS
III b. Citizens to be Heard – (Continued) (General Issues)
|a.||Commissioner Justice||discussed attendance at Hunger Summit and information available in Florida’s Roadmap to Living Healthy flyer and at FreshFromFlorida.com.|
|b.||Commissioner Long||suggested participation in the Florida College Access Networks Mission meeting to be held in Tampa.|
|c.||Commissioner Welch||reminded everyone to vote. reminded members of the importance of access to dental care; and Chairman Seel discussed upcoming Dental Roundtable presentation.|
|d.||Chairman Seel||re Board appointees to replace exiting Commissioners.
re Citizens to Be Heard discussion to be placed on October 21 agenda.
re Board Chair and Vice-Chair selection to be held on November 18. commended Gina Harvey, Public Works, on her role re Tiger Grant application.
noted that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and recognized long-time County employee and cancer survivor Sharon Beich on celebrating her 75th birthday.
ADJOURNMENT – 11:11 A.M.
* * * *
If the meeting has not concluded by 12:30 p.m., a recess will be taken from 12:30 to 1:00 p.m., and the remainder of the meeting will continue at 1:00 p.m.
Persons are advised that, if they decide to appeal any decision made at this meeting/hearing, they will need a record of the proceedings, and, for such purposes, they may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.
Persons needing a special accommodation to participate in this proceeding should contact the Office of Human Rights, by written or oral request, at least 48 hours prior to the proceeding at: 400 South Fort Harrison Avenue, Suite 500, Clearwater, Florida 33756, Phone: (727) 464-4880, TDD: (727) 464-4062.
PUBLIC HEARING PROCEDURES
Public hearings before the Board are governed by the provisions of Section 134-14 of the Pinellas County Land Development Code. That code provides that at the conclusion of each person’s presentation, any speaker may seek the Chair’s permission to ask questions of staff. Specifically:
1. At the conclusion of the presentations by the applicant and any proponents, all affected parties may seek the Chair’s permission to ask questions of or seek clarification from the applicant and/or the proponents.
2. At the conclusion of the presentation by the opponents, all affected parties may seek the Chair’s permission to ask questions of or seek clarification from any opponent.
The applicant’s closing comments will address testimony subsequent to their presentation. Continuing rebuttal of other than directly preceding testimony will not be allowed.
Because much testimony has already been submitted in writing, the applicant should present the entire case in 20 minutes.