Lost & Found
I Lost My Cat/ Dog- What should I Do?
Place flyers in your neighborhood, local pet stores
and vets. make sure you drive around the neighborhood. If you know of any other pet owners check with them, your pet may go there to socialize.
If Micro-chipped- Call your microchip company- Advise them of your lost pet and make sure your name, address, phone number are up to date.
- Call Pinellas County Animal Service 727-582-2600- Make sure you keep your animal license tag updated with your home address, home phone and alternate phone numbers. If someone finds your pet and calls in the license number we can look it up and give them your information and help reunite you with your pet much faster.
- Check Local News Paper Listings
- If your pet is not found right away- keep up to date on animals being brought into our shelter *(Call the Animal Services Lost or Found Pets Hotline at (727) 582-2604).
Reclaiming a lost pet from Animal Services:
All pets that come into the Pinellas County Animal Shelter are examined carefully for both a county license, and a microchip. If the pet has a county license we will have your personal information in our database and will contact you the very next working day to inform you that we have your pet. In addition, the same would hold true if your pet has a microchip. Please remember, if you are moving or have moved to a new location you as the owner of the pet should ensure that you keep this information current at all times so that we can reunite you with your lost pet.
If your pet has no form of identification on them, you should immediately begin a physical search at all the local shelters (See list of local shelters) for your lost pet. Animal Services may have on any given day approximately 800 pets in our care, and it is very difficult for us to positively search out your pet for you as many dogs and cats look alike.
If you are unable to come in every couple of days due to Hardship, physical handy cap or other emergency issue please email us a picture of your lost pet and a description of the animal, date and location lost and your contact information as well- we will attempt to look in our shelter for you, however, this does not guarantee we will be able to positively identify your pet.
Impound fees: There will be charges assessed for reclaiming your lost pet.
- Sterilized pet = $50
- Intact pet = $80
- Board per day = $10
If your pet does not have a current county pet license or rabies vaccination, they will be required to get one at your local vet within 10 calendar days.
- License = $20
- Rabies vaccination = $10
- Microchip (optional)= $20
When unaltered animals are impounded and reclaimed by the owner, an incentive will be offered at that time to have the animal spayed/neutered at a low cost and, in addition, the impound fees will be waived. The boarding fees will still be assessed per each day the animal was in the shelter.
- Spay – Dog = $45
- Spay – Cat =$35
- Neuter – Dog =$35
- Neuter – Cat =$25
Found a Pet:
Please make a reasonable attempt to locate the animal’s owner.
Do not feed and let go - Pets may not be able to find their way back to their owners.
- Please safely confine pet.
- If Pet is wearing a tag (do not remove from pet)- Get the tag id number and call phone number provided on tag for owner’s information.
If not tag found, make sure you drive around the neighborhood. Look for any Lost Flyers’ and talk to neighbors to see if anyone is missing their pet.
Have pet scanned for Microchip if possible.
- Call the Animal Services at 727-582-2600, or visit the shelter at 12450 Ulmerton Road, Largo 33774.
- Hold pet and complete a found pet report:
(This is a 30 day hold time at your home- Return pet to owner if found, if not found the pet is your to keep or give to responsible party after 30 day time period has elapsed)
- Bring Pet to a shelter (during normal business hours) so they can make all attempts to locate pet’s owner
- Call for a pickup- Stray pick-ups are free to Pinellas county, Dogs are picked up Monday- Saturday/ Cats Monday-Friday excluding holidays & in house Services Dates
Thank you for your efforts to reunite pets and their owners!
Return to top