Assistance for Immediate Family Members . . .
You may be able to receive dependency or indemnity compensation if you are a survivor of:
- A service member who died in active duty
- A veteran who died from service-related disabilities
- A veteran who was being paid 100 percent disability compensation at time of death.
DIC is a monthly check paid to eligible survivors of certain deceased veterans.
To get DIC, you must be an eligible survivor of a veteran who died because of a service-related illness or injury.
If the veteran's death was NOT service-related, you may still be eligible if EITHER of the following conditions existed at the time of death:
- the veteran was getting VA Disability Compensation for a total disability for the last 10 years. (Note: this also includes veterans who would have received VA compensation but didn't because they were getting military retirement or disability pay).
- the veteran was getting VA Disability Compensation for a total disability continuously since released from active duty and for at least 5 years.
You may be an eligible survivor if:
- you were married to the veteran for at least 1 year (Note: If a child was born, there is no time requirement AND
- your marriage was valid, AND
- you lived with the veteran continuously until his/her death or, if you separated, you weren't at fault, AND
- you did not remarry. (Note: If you remarried, entitlement to DIC may be restored if the subsequent remarriage is terminated by death or divorce.)
- you are an unmarried child of a deceased veteran AND
- you are under age 18, or between the ages of 18 and 23 and attending school.
(Note: Certain helpless adult children and some parents of deceased veterans are entitled to DIC. Call VA toll free (1-800-827-1000) for the eligibility requirements for these survivors.)
How Much Does VA Pay?
VA pays a basic monthly rate of $948 to eligible
In some cases, VA can pay more. Call the Veterans Services Office for information about rates paid to eligible children.
How Can I Apply?
You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-534, Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, Death Pension and Accrued Benefits By a Surviving Spouse or Child, and mailing it to the VA Regional Office that serves your area.
Pinellas County Department of Veteran Services
2189 Cleveland St. Suite 263
Clearwater, Florida 33765
(727) 464-8460 Fax (727) 464-8407
501 1st Ave. N. Suite 514
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701
(727) 582-7828 Fax (727) 582-7813