Land Development Code Project
News & Updates:
New Pinellas County Land Development Code Effective Jan. 1, 2019 Six chapters of the Pinellas County Land Development Code—including the zoning chapter—have been rewritten and are effective Jan. 1, 2019. The new chapters are available at www.pinellascounty.org/landdevelopmentcode. The County’s codification service, Municode, is in the process of updating the complete document. It should be available on Municode.com in March, 2019.
What is the Land Development Code?
The Pinellas County Land Development Code (LDC) contains regulations that govern how land is developed in the unincorporated areas of Pinellas County. The code affects the everyday lives of people in our community in many ways. It addresses everything from zoning, site development, the natural environment and stormwater management to parking, sidewalks, landscaping and energy efficiency.
Why Update the Code?
Pinellas County is almost built out, and most of our development activity is actually redevelopment. This is exciting because each new project provides an opportunity to improve our communities. New approaches are being considered to guide the development process in ways that will enhance the condition of the County’s natural and built environments, promote economic opportunity and help us achieve a more sustainable future. It is important for you to be part of the process.
- Implement policies in the County’s Comprehensive Plan, including the theme of ”Planning Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow!"
- Modernize the code to better address new initiatives like livable communities.
- Make it easier to walk, bike and take transit and encourage green building and energy efficiency.
- Contribute to quality neighborhoods, communities and businesses.
- Streamline the code and make it easier for Realtors, developers and residents to use and understand.
- Promote options for different types of housing.
- Encourage quality redevelopment and design.
What Happens Next?
New code language is being drafted based on review, research and comments from you, county leaders, interested agencies, and stakeholders. Because the Land Development Code project is an ongoing process, updates will be shared on this website on an ongoing basis.
There are a number of ways to get involved.
We are eager to hear from you – especially if you live, work or own property in the unincorporated part of Pinellas County. You can be a part of shaping the future of your neighborhood, your community and your county – Remember it belongs to you!
- Contact us with your ideas!
- Sign up for the County Connection E-News and select “Planning” to automatically receive updates via email.
- Check for updates on this website and/or sign up on Facebook or Twitter.