The park is characterized by hilly terrain, wooded areas and beautiful vistas overlooking Salmon Bay and Lake Tarpon.
A distinctive arrangement of picnic pads, elevated boardwalk, and a nature trail, which is 478 linear feet long, has been developed among the cypress trees along the Salmon Bay shoreline.
Boating, scenic views and access to Lake Tarpon are highlights of this park. Play in wooded areas, hike nature trails, have a picnic, romp on the playground or frolic in the dog park. A public boat ramp, open 5 a.m. - 10 p.m., and fishing piers make this a favorite destination for bass fishing.
- fishing access to Bay
- boat ramp (fee charged)
- dog park
- boardwalks, nature trails
- 9 picnic shelters
The first land was acquired in 1964 with the park opening and dedication held on May 21, 1966. Subsequent acquisitions to the north and south along Lake Tarpon have enlarged the park to 135 acres. The most recently improved area is a 30-acre parcel acquired in 1973 on the south side of the park. Access to this area is gained by means of a road leading from the main park road to an overpass which bridges Tookes Road. It was formally opened to the public on June 3, 1982.
Who was A.L. Anderson?
The park was named in honor of Alphonse L. “Andy” Anderson, former Mayor of Gulfport and Pinellas County Commissioner from 1959 - 1971. A successful commercial fisherman and recipient of two prestigious conservation awards, Mr. Anderson was sensitive to the preservation of local waterways and the marine environment. During his tenure on the Commission, he helped to establish several county parks, including A.L. Anderson Park on the shores of Lake Tarpon. After serving on the County Commission, Mr. Anderson continued his tireless preservation efforts as a member of the Pinellas County Park Board.