Village volunteers connect the past with the present. Learn how YOU can become involved at this 21-acre history museum!
- Do you enjoy greeting and welcoming people?
- Do you enjoy sharing stories with young people?
- Do you love Florida and Pinellas County history?
- Do you like making new friends?
- Do you like to learn about historic preservation?
Then volunteering at
Heritage Village is for YOU! -----
Our dedicated volunteers take ownership and pride in their work here at the Village, teaming up with staff to tweak the most intimate details of our daily operations and special projects.
These include guest experiences from reception to tours and demonstrations; grounds, safety, maintenance and historic preservation activities; conservation, housekeeping and collections work; office and administrative functions; fundraising, programs and festivals; exhibits and unique undertakings like the McKay Creek Boat Shop and the 1967 Caboose restoration.
Training provided for volunteers
working in the following positions:
- Docent Tour Guide
- Gift Shop Volunteer
- Grounds Management
- Historic House Caretaker
- Museum Greeters
- Adult Summer Volunteers – support the Junior Docent volunteers (see below)
- Junior Docent
- Museum Grounds Care
- Office Assistant
- Special Events Assistants
- Traditional Craft Demonstrator
Unique Volunteer Opportunities-Descriptions:
- Docent Tour Guide: Are you curious or interested about architecture, historic houses, Pinellas County or Florida history? Do you enjoy sharing your knowledge and passion with others? Then join our docents at Heritage Village and welcome visitors to our historic structures. Engage guests in conversation about community life, architectural styles, artifacts and more. One on one
training and mentoring by experienced volunteers is provided.
- Museum Greeters: Meet school groups, bus tours and visitors, provide tour information, help guests read their maps and answer questions in the field. Morning and afternoon shifts available.
- Historic House Caretaker: “Adopt an historic house” and provide special care and detailing utilizing historic house preservation guidelines. Work with staff to learn museum procedures for the care and upkeep of historic houses, artifacts and collections. Volunteer caretakers use historical preservation techniques and provide detailed attention to artifacts, interior spaces and entranceways.
- Maintenance: Are you experienced with home or commercial repair or are you interested in historic preservation? Help staff with behind the scenes upgrades, light maintenance and simple repairs. Inside and outside work is available.
- Grounds Assistant: Do you love the Florida piney woods? Help keep Heritage Village pathways, porches and walkways clear of debris and provide upkeep to plantings around historic houses. Heritage Village Garden volunteers provide interesting info on the history of agriculture, crops and growing vegetable gardens in Florida.
Please review the county's Volunteer Services website for descriptions and available volunteer vacancies.
Return to top