All school groups must pre-register.
Pop into History – “Enter-Action” History Fun!:
This program, created by teachers for teachers, provides hands-on learning stations that draw on the historic themes of agriculture, coastal living, community life and tourism. These active outdoor stations are accented by the natural environment and historic houses to welcome exploration & curiosity.
Orientation and maps provided for this self-guided visitor led program. 1.5 hour.
School for A Day
- Grades: K-8
- Program Length: up to 4 hours – Teacher led program
- Admission: Free
- Hold school for a day in a 1940’s classroom with historic furnishings and chalkboard. A great setting to do authentic
learning with math and writing activities.
- Create your own historic 3R’s lesson plan.
Heritage Village provides slates, McGuffy Readers,
spellers and sample activities. Teacher Packet has
information to prepare you.
- Bring your classroom lesson plan for the day to this
Also allow time to:
- Stroll and visit a select group of houses and
- View exhibits in the museum galleries.
- Hike the Shirley McPherson Native Plant Trail.
School Self-guided tour through Heritage Village
- All school groups must pre-register.
What are self-guided visits?
Self-guided visits are museum visits teachers lead themselves, so Museum Interpreters (docent guides) are not provided. If possible, teachers are encouraged to visit the exhibition before bringing their classes on a field trip. Background information to successfully lead a self-guided visit is provided through resource materials available on our website.
To make sure your group experience is a positive one, we require that self-guided visits be pre-scheduled. In this way we avoid overcrowding or having your visit conflict with other programs. These visits require at least one adult chaperon per 15 students.
Heritage Village History Kits
Bring the Past to Your Class: History kits bring Heritage Village to your classroom. A kit full of artifacts, photographs, historical background information and classroom activities are available through the Pinellas County Schools District Multimedia Library.
Find out more about
Heritage Village History Kits:
Looking for a FUN and CHALLENGING
volunteer opportunity for your students?
- Students ages 12 through 17
Junior Docents at Heritage Village are young adults from the community who enjoy learning more about Pinellas County and Florida history. Young volunteers donate their time:
Check out Junior Docents
at Heritage Village!
Other Educational Field Trips:
- Think of Pinellas County Utilities for your next school field trip! Touring one of our facilities is a fascinating way for students to learn firsthand about water treatment and solid waste management. Some tours include free busing and substitute teacher.
- Visit Pinellas County Solid Waste and take a tour to learn that there’s No Such Place as “Away” for your garbage, and how you can protect the planet and our community. Tours and Speaker presentation
- Brooker Creek Preserve - Guided Preserve Tours & Nature Hikes
- Weedon Island Preserve - Guided Preserve Tours & Nature Hikes
Return to top