The next session begins Spring 2018.
Congratulations Pinellas Citizen University
Class of 2017
Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) offers residents an up-close and behind-the-scenes look at the services provided by our departments. Through exciting field trips, learn firsthand how Pinellas County delivers first-class services to nearly one million residents.
During the six week course, students will learn about the five goals of the County’s Strategic Plan with a focus on how our employees are Doing Things every day to serve the Public, improving the quality of life of our Citizens and making Pinellas an even better place to call home.
- Learn about the budget and better understand how the County manages funds, including the Penny for Pinellas.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at the Pinellas County Jail and its facility operations.
- See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm and how to stay safe.
- Participate in a Touch-A-Truck demonstration of the Public Works equipment that is used to bring you safe, effective transportation and faster travel routes.
- Tour the Waste-to-Energy Facility at Solid Waste and learn how it processes over 800,000 tons of waste per year, providing electricity to power 40,000 homes.
- Hear about opportunities to excel after graduation and how to get involved in County government.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
- Animal Services
- Board of County Commissioners
- Consumer Protection
- County Administration
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services & Fire Administration
- Environmental Management
- Marketing & Communications
- Office of Management and Budget
- Parks & Conservation Resources
- Public Works
- Regional 9-1-1
- Safety & Emergency Services
- Sheriff’s Office/Pinellas County Jail
- Solid Waste
- Stormwater Management
- Volunteer Services
- Class enrollment is limited to 40 participates.
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Classes meet for six successive weeks on Wednesday or Thursday evenings, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., with one optional Saturday morning class.
- Tuition is $35 which includes a class shirt, all course materials, graduation ceremony, class photo and diploma.
- Each session involves considerable amounts of walking, stair climbing, standing and sitting.
- Please indicate any requested accommodations on application form.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the various sessions located throughout Pinellas County.
Applications must be mailed. Please enclose a check for $35 made payable to the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and send to:
Pinellas County Marketing & Communications
333 Chestnut Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
Upon acceptance, a packet will be sent to all participants with instructions, meeting places, list of classes and other session information.
For additional information on Pinellas Citizen University, call 727-464-4600.