Pinellas Citizen University
Ever wonder how government works, and what goes on behind the scenes in the various departments that provide services to you and your neighbors?
beginning April 4, 2013 has been filled.
Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) unravels the mystery. Similar to other leadership classes, PCU brings you face to face with county administrators and decision-makers. Through exciting field trips and exercises, you learn first hand how Pinellas County provides services to nearly one million county residents.
During this remarkable ten-week course, you’ll go behind the scenes at many Pinellas County operations and talk to the experts as you explore a wide range of county functions.
- Imagine trying to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm.
- Listen in on the drama of real 9-1-1 calls.
- Try balancing a $1.6 billion county budget.
- Tour the Pinellas County Jail.
- Get your hands on the latest survey equipment and try planning a highway.
- Sit in the grand jury room, and talk to those leaders within our criminal court system.
Each week, the class meets at a different county facility for an in-depth view of how Pinellas County provides services for nearly one million full-time residents every day. A packet will be sent to all participates with instructions on meeting places, list of classes and other information.
At the end of it all, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Board of County Commissioners, and their own copy of a class picture to commemorate the event. Most students felt that the classes allowed them to more fully appreciate the services provided by county government.
- Class enrollment is limited and you must be at least 18 years old.
- Classes meet Thursday nights, usually from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Tuition for PCU is $35 which includes a class shirt, all course materials, graduation ceremony and diploma.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Download Application
- Class Schedule
- A packet will be sent to all participates with instructions on meeting places, list of classes and other information.
- Circuit Court Judges
- Code Enforcement
- Communications Department
- County Administrator
- Emergency Communications/9-1-1
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services & Fire
- Administration (Public Safety Services)
- Justice & Consumer Services
- Management and Budget
- Public Defender
- Public Works – Division of Survey & Mapping
- Public Works – Engineering
- Public Works – Highway Department
- Public Works – Mosquito
- Public Works – Traffic Engineering/Traffic
- Operations & Control Center
- Sheriff’s Office/Pinellas County Jail
- State Attorney
- Visit St. Petersburg-Clearwater
Pinellas County complies with the
American with Disabilities Act. To obtain accessible formats of this document, please contact the Pinellas County Communications Department at (727) 464-4600/TDD (727) 464-4431.
For more information or questions:
- For additional information on Pinellas Citizen University call 464-4600.
All about your property,
your neighborhood and
the opportunities your location provides.
PCU includes . . .
a visit to the Grand Jury Room as students learn about our criminal justice system.