The next session begins Spring of 2017
Congratulations to the PCU Class of 2016
Graduation Picture below
Ever wonder what your county government does?
Want to know what goes on behind the scenes
in the various departments that provide
services to you and your neighbors?
Pinellas Citizen University (PCU) answers those questions and so much more. PCU brings you face to face with county administrators and decision makers. Through exciting field trips, you learn firsthand how Pinellas County provides services to nearly one million county residents.
During this 10-week course, you’ll go behind the scenes at a different Pinellas County operation each week and talk to the experts as you explore a wide range of county functions.
- See what it takes to plan a hurricane evacuation in the face of an approaching storm.
- Listen in on the drama of real 9-1-1 calls.
- Tour the South Cross Bayou Water Reclamation Facility and find out how they make reclaimed water out of wastewater.
- Get a behind-the-scenes look at Supervisor of Elections.
- Tour the Pinellas County Jail.
- Sit in the grand jury room and talk one on one with leaders within our criminal justice system.
Upon completion, each graduate receives a diploma signed by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and a class picture to commemorate the event.
- Animal Services
- Board of County Commissioners
- Circuit Court Judges
- Communications Department
- Economic Development
- Emergency Communications/9-1-1
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Human Services
- Justice Coordination / Consumer Protection
- Public Defender
- Public Works – Mosquito
- Public Works – Traffic Engineering/Traffic
- St. Petersburg-Clearwater International Airport
- Sheriff’s Office/Pinellas County Jail
- Supervisor of Elections
- State Attorney
- Utilities – Solid Waste Facility
- Utilities – South Cross Bayou Water Reclamation
- Class enrollment is limited to 35 participates.
- You must be at least 18 years old to participate.
- Classes meet for 10 successive weeks on Thursday nights, usually from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Tuition is $35 which includes a class shirt, all course materials, graduation ceremony, class photo and diploma.
- Each session involves considerable amounts of walking, stair climbing, standing and sitting.
- Please indicate any requested accommodations on application form.
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the various sessions located throughout Pinellas County.
Applications must be mailed. Please enclose a check for $35 made payable to the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and send to:
Pinellas County Communications
333 Chestnut Street
Clearwater, FL 33756
Upon acceptance, a packet will be sent to all participants with instructions, meeting places, list of classes and other session information.
For more information or questions:
- For additional information on Pinellas Citizen University, call 464-4600.
All about your property,
neighborhood and local
fire depts., schools,
hospitals and more.
PCU includes . . .
a visit to the Grand Jury Room as students learn about our criminal justice system.